Chuck Peters on Fri, 15 Feb 2002 22:10:16 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Volunteer Opportunities

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Jeff Dean wrote:

> Absolutely, and this one's a great cause.  I run IT for a K-8 charter
> school in West Chester.  I'm also the President of the board of
> trustees.  We run on a very tight budget, but have some projects left to
> do.  In particular:
>
> - Linux firewall rules

We could use some expert peer review for a bridging firewall I am setting
up for CCIL.org

> - PHP and Perl scripting (Intranet/Internet data xfer, php-nuke customization)

I'll talk to one of our techs about that.  I would point you to our
website, but the disk crashed yesterday.

> - Need to add a list server with web admin (mailman?  Majordomo?)

I can do that.  And we can host them for you here at CCIL too.  We have
exim and mailman setup for virtual domains.  CCIL is in West Chester too,
so you are closer than I am.

> - Implement webmin inside to free me from manual accounts stuff

We can talk about that too.  Were using both ldap and shadow passwds now,
with mixed results.  These damn ldap servers don't seem to be able to take
much load on Debian potato, its a dated release of openldap.

> The firewall stuff is NAT-related.  I'm using esmith, so anyone who's
> noodled around with one of those could be a great asset.

Someone gave a talk on esmith at PLUG.  Maybe that person could help.

> We also have some physical plant stuff and PC issues to take care of, and
> of course, no budget.

Sounds familiar.

Thanks,
Chuck