Bill Jonas on Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:56:29 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Fw: Antivirus for Linux

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 08:12:50AM -0500, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> Just out of curiosity (well for my education actually), are you referring
> to a virus scanner that protects a Linux mail system from passing along
> windows viruses or a system primarily designed to detect Linux
> viruses?  How serious a threat (i.e. how common) are Linux viruses?

There's an interesting treatment of the subject of Linux viruses at
<http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#virus>[1].  (It and the following few
questions.)

Note that this is about viruses in particular.  The Internet Worm of
1988 (and more recently, l10n, CheeseWorm, and others) underscore the
necessity of keeping up-to-date with security fixes.  (I hear that
US-market-leader RedHat, in the latest version, does not enable any
services by default.  Which is most definitely a good thing.)

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html