eric@lucii.org on Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:04:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Installation questions - SuSe 7.3

My favorite setup (I run SuSE 7.3 on 4 different computers) is:

2 times  memory size  swap
15 to 20 Meg         /boot
1 Gig                /home
2/3(X) Gig           /
1/3(X) Gig           /opt

Where X is the remaining disk space after you do the swap, boot,
and home partitions.   I ususally make the boot first (primary) and
swap (primary) and the rest as logical partitions in the third
partition.

I've heard that some admins recommend a separate "var" partition so
there is no chance of a runaway log file filling the root partition up.

Eric

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 12:46:14AM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> This may not be specific to SuSe - I started my first SuSe installation
> tonight. It is amazing, but then it would not take much to amaze me since
> the last install I did was slackware with kernel 1.3.x !
>
> I an installing on a PII-266 with 300M memory and 4 IDE channels. Two on
> the MB and 2 with a plug-in promise dma100 controller. SuSe found it all.
> I have a HD hanging on both the primary MB controller and the primary
> add-on.
>
> Anyhow the question... What is the best way to partition and what file
> type? SuSe makes some default decisions. In my case they were :
>
> 16.2M boot
> 416M swap
> 36.8G root
>
> The 36.8G is resisert file type??
>
> I have been doing (in slackware) :
>
> 100M root
> 32M swap
> the rest /usr
>
> all in ext2.
>
> Is there any best way to do this? What about file type? I want the entire
> disk linux. no dual boot. Tell me about Resisert?
>
> Doug
>
> ****************************
> *  Doug Crompton	   *
> *  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
> *  215-431-6307		   *
> * doug@crompton.com        *
> * wa3dsp@wa3dsp.ampr.org   *
> * http://www.crompton.com  *

#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
#  And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings..
#              -- John Gillespie Magee Jr.