Kyle R . Burton on Fri, 15 Mar 2002 14:45:59 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Virus Writing HOWTO

> >Besides the fact that office applications aren't embedded into the Linux
> >kernel and heavily integrated into just about every corner of your
> >system, the user/security model for *nix makes it harder for viruses to
> >survive. It is generally taught early on Not To Run As Root.
>
> Is the real reason *nix is relatively spared virus problems practical
> rather than technical?
>
> If I wanted to take the trouble of writing mischievous code, I would want
> my efforts to result in the greatest possible impact.  Since 90% of the
> computers out there run windows, my first decision would be to write a
> virus that operates in windows.  Now, if I planned to distribute my virus
> via eMail, I better pick a ubiquitous eMail program, so I'd pick --
> Outlook. And so on.

Personaly, since I'm lazy, I'd choose the easiest.  The easiest way to
implement the virus - the lowest tech approach possible.  Why write
assembler for a bufer overflow attack for 6 platforms when you can just cut
and paste a block of vb code from the last wildly successful virus into
a delivery system no one is watching for yet?

Due to the curent state of the market, the easiest to exploit system also
happens to match up nicely with the largest installed base of targeted
systems.

Kyle