Michael Leone on Sat, 16 Mar 2002 12:35:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Virus Writing HOWTO

On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 11:56, Mental Patient wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-03-16 at 11:20, Michael Leone wrote:
> > On Fri, 2002-03-15 at 08:37, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> > >
> > > Is the real reason *nix is relatively spared virus problems practical
> > > rather than technical?
> >
> > What about Win2000, then? It's security model tries to come close to a
> > Unix model, with user accounts deliberately kept separate from the
> > "root" user.
> >

> What about win200? I'm not being inflamatory here, but MS _still_
> doesn't get it. User accounts are NOT kept separate from the 'root'
> user. During the win2k install, you are asked to create a 'user'
> account. This user account is in the administrators group. Thats the
> same thing as creating a 'user' account on your linux box with a uid of
> 0. Instead of typing 'root' to login, you can now type 'bob'.

You are asked for an Administrator (or 'root') password. You are not
asked to create a normal user. At least, not when I've installed it
recently.

You can certainly create user accounts in the group Administrators. And
you can just as easily create user accounts that are not Administrator
access.

> Further, have you tried using w2k after you go out of your way to
> tighten security? Its not very fun. There's a large number of
> applications out there that assume they can do whatever they want to
> your registry and spew files whereever they want. Which is fine on a
> fat32 partition, but on an ntfs partition that you're trying to lock
> down.... its really very annoying.

Yep. Doesn't invalidate my question, tho. If you, as a non-privileged
user, catches a virus, does it not run with your user permissions (as it
would on Linux)? This excludes a virus that may take advantage of some
elevated privileges bugs.

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

The secret of flying is simple: Throw yourself at the ground and miss.