pinkee on Sat, 23 Mar 2002 16:20:14 +0100

Re: Job Postings was Re: [PLUG] Another Job Opening [Network Admin - Plymouth Meeting]

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 05:44:10AM -0800, JP Toto wrote:
> Im gonna have to disagree with alot of this so far.
> While I DO agree that tossing around job postings on
> the PLUG list is probably inappropriate - perhaps we
> could add a job section to the PLUG web site that
> regulars could post to? I know there are a few links
> there already... The point is that there are still
> alot of unemployed folks out there who would like to
> have any job... regardless of whether it's
> administering NT or Unix or Linux or whatever. For you
> to balk at non-linux job postings in this day and age
> is bad form. Certainly I think the list should stay on
> topic but to complain when a well-intentioned member
> is trying to help out his fellow linux users with the
> prospect of employment is just wrong.

This is well said, and I like the proposal. It would minimize oversite
on the part of the *volunteers* who keep plug running smoothly.
Attempting to impose fees or fines is ridiculous, and indicates a
serious lack of recognition of all the work the *volunteers* already do.

> That said... Im happy to write or help write or
> upgrade the PLUG job section to allow for posts. We
> could setup some kind of time limit so they'de
> disapear after awhile.

I like this too. Offering to help solve a problem is cool.

> Sure administering NT isn't as nice or as fun as linux
> but there are some people out there who need jobs and
> who wouldn't mind splitting a referral bonus. Don't
> speak for them just because your job requirments allow
> for linux ONLY.

Two of the volunteers for PLUG are unemployed. I am confident windows
would seem better than a cardboard box with a skylight.

pinkee
--
www.cavegirl.org
www.mydarlingchild.com