Michael Leone on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 00:50:12 +0100

[PADS] Re: [PLUG] Updating Libranet

On Sun, 2002-03-24 at 17:26, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> I would first get rid of all ximian packages as they break things. Also,

Hmmm. But I want some of the Ximian stuff - specifically, Evolution. And
they are due for an Evo upgrade in a week or two.

Perhaps I could remove the Ximian lines from sources.conf, and yet still
get Evo et al., from the Red Carpet program? I don't mind (too much)
using RC instead of apt for Ximian stuff. I like some of their programs,
just don't like the whole environment.

> get rid of all the lines save for debian testing:
>
> dpkg --purge `dpkg -l | grep ximian`

That wouldn't uninstall any installed Ximian packages, right? Just
remove the fact that they're installed from the main dpkg/apt database?

> apt-get update (only testing lines)
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> You may have to throw in a few:
>
> apt-get -f install

When I tried this before, I got many instances of kde bits not
installing - kdelibs and kdebase, from what I remember. Something about
some file existing in multiple packages ...

> and do more dist-upgrades till dependencies sort themselves out.

What the hell - maybe I'll do that tonight, rather than watch the
Oscars. :-)