Kyle R . Burton on Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:40:27 +0200

[PLUG] Revolution OS

I missed the first 15min of the movie last night (I thought it was on IFC,
then dialed-in to discover that it was actualy on Sundance).

The installfest event just announced in Exton made me think back -- in the
movie they showed an install fest being held at a book store.  That strikes
me as a great idea.  Install fests held by LUGs for their members is a
great idea - but, if it's held in a private or closed location, it stays
within the circle so to speak.

Holding install fests (or talks, basic classes, or anything small-scale
for that matter) at book stores or other public venues, we'll have the
potential of corrupting (enlightening) people that are not already part
of the congregation.

As far as book stores go, it should be fairly easy to convince them that
it's in their best interest to do those types of activities.  The type
of people that come for the events are exactly the kinds of people that
buy lots of technical books.  That should help drive their business, so it
should make those kinds of events attractive to them.  Of course, stores
with cafes in them should also see a spike in business during these types
of events.

The book stores might even be willing to display scheduling information,
or propaganda in the store to help attract people to the events.

Places like Microcenter or CompUSA that already have classroom facilities
might also be good targets for those kinds of collaborations and
relationships.

I would think we'd do a better job of getting the word out if the unconverted
had a chance to hear it.  We can strengthen our own convictions well enough,
if we want Linux to spread we need to act like missionaries.

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

Kyle