eric@lucii.org on Wed, 3 Apr 2002 18:50:21 +0200

[PLUG] network/ssh question

I'm not a networking guy... I don't even play one on tv.

But, I'm trying to understand something here....

I am responsible for running a small business network.  We're
running a e-smith server/firewall.  We want to use port
forwarding to allow an "outside" application (ssh and/or mysql
and/or http) to get "through" the firewall to a specific
internal server.

So, I tell e-smith to forward port NNNN to port 22 (for ssh)
on the server.  So far so good.  I log into a remote server
and try the following command:

     ssh -l username -p NNNN IP.IP.IP.IP

          (where IP.IP.IP.IP is the "outside" address
           for the e-smith server)

I get no response.  The client just "hangs" until interrupted by
ctrl-C.  If I try to telnet to it this happens:

   telnet IP.IP.IP.IP NNNN
   Trying IP.IP.IP.IP...
   Connected to thedomain.dnsalias.com.
   Escape character is '^]'.
   SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.9p2

Then it "hangs" and must be interrupted.

Why won't the ssh client complete the connection?
Does it need another port to be forwarded?
I can post the /etc/rc.d/init.d/masq file if that helps anyone.

TIA.
Eric

--
#   Eric Allan Lucas
# "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth