Mike Pflugfelder on Tue, 16 Apr 2002 02:10:13 +0200

[PLUG] Backup e-mail server

My company currently uses Exchange as our e-mail server, but we're
experiencing some problems right now that are causing us to not get e-mail.
Regardless, we do have a second site in a different state that I would like
to drop a Linux box in to become a backup e-mail server in the case that we
have similar problems in the future.  Could someone give me some ideas as to
how hard it may be, or what's involved, and some direction as to where to
look for information.  Also, what software would be best/easiest to use?

If I'm not clear enough, what I'd like to accomplish is a server that, if
our primary becomes unreachable (offline, DNS problems, downed
router,etc...), the secondary server would cache the e-mail until the
primary becomes available again and deliver it to the primary.

-Mike Pflugfelder

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." -
Arthur C. Clarke