Michael Leone on Wed, 17 Apr 2002 20:31:28 -0400

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 20:22, pinkee@cavegirl.org wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 08:09:57PM -0400, Michael Leone wrote:
> > >
> > > Um, but if I blindly trust that the printout that Darxus gives me
> > > matches what I'd get out of gpg --fingerprint for that key ID and
> > > sign the key, I've misplaced my trust.
> >
> > Why? Isn't that a sign that you trust Darxus? And you do, don't you,
> > since you've signed his key?
>
> A) If it is someones first key signing, they *haven't* signed Darxus'
> key.
> B) As far as I know Darxus has the *least* trustworthy of the keys. He
> doesn't have id that says Darxus, and he doesn't have anything on his
> key that matches his id. The closest thing we have is his liscence
> plate. :)

And the fact that some of us met/knew him personally, well before we
ever got around to keysigning. An even better sort of trust, don't you
think? More so than someone you meet once at a meeting, examine a
license, sign a key, and never see that person again?

And there have been a few of those.

Granted, this doesn't apply to everybody, nor in every case. But it does
in mine, ar least.

> C) If someone sent Darxus a key that was invalid and you signed it cause
> it was on Darxus paper, you signed a bad key.
>
> pinkee
> --
> www.cavegirl.org
> www.mydarlingchild.com
> "He's kind of shy, but thats the kind of girl I am, he's my kind of
> guy...I want to be haunted by the ghost of your precious love. ... And
> now I know I never ever want to be without you."
> Sinead O'Connor and The Pogues

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

Conform or be cast out.