gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 21:21:01 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Buying a Sparc

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 08:18:27PM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> I saw an article that said that Sun was reconsidering the decision to
> can Solaris/x86.  I can dig up a link if you want.

Why would they reconsider?

It was nothing but a money loser. The only point was to position
themselves against NT for desktops, but they've realized that they
can do that better with SunFire servers and thin clients. It costs a
crazy amount of money for them to maintain Solaris x86... and then
people like me come along and recommend against anyone using it,
since we know how poorly it deals with the IA32 chipset, so they
hardly sell any copies.

I'd be glad to read it, though.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter