Kevin Brosius on Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:45:53 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Possible MBR Curruptoin (With the question, this time)

JP Toto wrote:

> Im sorry for the empty post. Too quick on the draw.
>
> Anyhoo - here's my problem:
>
> I have an Abit BE6II with the HPT370 non raid
> controller. Connected to that is an IBM UDMA66 drive.
> Now, when I boot from either Mandrake 8.2 or SuSE 8.0
> boot install cd's (with newer kernels) and it tries to
> "detect paritions" of my IBM drive it just hangs.
>
> Similarly I get an "ARC Read Error" from my Win2k boot
> install cd.
>
> Im guessing the MBR is somehow currupted from one or
> two of the other errors/issues I've had with it.
> Haven't tried a different drive yet, though. Any
> thoughts? Is there a way to edit/repair a master boot
> record? Any thoughts would be groovy. Thanks.

MBR or partition table?  Either way, do you care about the partitions?
If not, the SuSE disk can be started in repair mode, then use fdisk to
wipe the partition table and see if that helps.  (or any other Linux
boot/repair disk could be used to do this.)  If you're booting off the
CD, MBR shouldn't matter.

Also, the SuSE install can be told which drivers to load.  You might
need to do this if the hd controller isn't auto recognized.  Easiest way
to know is to hit the SuSE website and plug your hd controller into
their hardware database.  See what it says about support for that model.

--
Kevin Brosius