Leonard Rosenthol on Wed, 1 May 2002 12:49:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Publisher 98 to PDF

At 12:22 PM -0400 5/1/02, Paul wrote:
I just used Ghostscript (for Windows since I'm working on a solution
for a Windows user) to convert a Postscript file into a PDF.  The PS
file is 3k, the PDF is 41k!

What version of Ghostscript? Are you embedding fonts? Did you enable compression? What command line options did you give to GS?

 What's going on?!  Maybe I missed
something, but if a PS file is always that much smaller, why use PDF?

A PS file is not always smaller than PDF - depends on what is in the PS. As to why use PDF - LOTS of good reasons. Let me know if you want them listed...

Also, the converted PDF has the same quality as the PS when viewed in
GSview, but it doesn't look as good when viewed with Acrobat Reader
4.0.

Can you be more specific? Can you post both the PS and PDF for me to look at??

Leonard -- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Leonard Rosenthol <mailto:leonardr@lazerware.com> <http://www.lazerware.com>