gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 13 May 2002 19:45:40 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Mac OS/X, Darwin and Opensource software...

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 04:48:11PM -0400, Kyle R . Burton wrote:
> What else is possible of generating the error: "void value not ignored as
> it ought to be"?  The only thing I know of (or can think of) is trying to
> assign a void function to a varaiable.

Well, I've been grasping at straws all along, but I'm out of straws
now. Haven't a clue. :^>

> I'm a bit fuzzy about what gcc is allowing to happen that is incorrect, or
> non-ANSI C in this case.

Not reporting the lack of a cast as a warning.

> One of the things I really like about gcc is that it was typicly much better
> at reporting questionable behavior than other compilers.  It was the first
> compiler I'd used that knew how to report on errors for fprintf format
> strings and the associated arguments (neither Sun's cc or HP's cc did
> that when I was forced to use them).

Too bad each generate significantly better code for their respective
platorms, isn't it? :^> (Well... Sun's, anyhow.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net