Paul on Fri, 7 Jun 2002 07:50:15 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Networking question

If you don't have a gateway, then you don't enter anything for the gateway. Directly connecting two computers that use the same range of IP addresses is sufficient.

Beldon Dominello wrote:

I am building a small network for the Vintage Radio and Communications Museum of Connecticut (http://www.nationalcommunicationsmuseum.org) and I have a fairly basic question that I haven't come across before.

Normally, when you set up a network, you give the default gateway as your router or firewall. what if there's no gateway to the outside world? We have no interhnet conenctivity yet (not even a phone line), so how does the traffic get from, say, workstation to server? Is hooking up two machines with either a hub or crossover cable sufficient? what do I put in to the "default gateway" configuration?

Thanx!

	-Beldon