gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:04:47 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: SCSI controllers 4sale

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 09:33:00AM -0400, Noah silva wrote:
> people often seem to confuse this (gabrial, help out?)

I'll try.

> SCSI 1, 2, and 3 are COMMAND SETS

Sort of. They're bus definitions whose main differences include
command sets, but they also run at different frequencies.

> I sometimes see a cable marked as "SCSI 2"... and well I have 50 pin SCSI
> 1 and 50 pin SCSI 2 devices with the same cable.  As far as I know the
> numbers only indicate supported command sets.

It'd be mighty hard to find a cable that supported only SCSI 1 these
days, but it might be possible. (And if you plugged it into a SCSI 2
device, you'd either get mysteriously transmission failures or see
the bus step back to 5 MB/s; sort of depends on the conditions, what
kind of terminator you've got, so forth.)

> Narrow, wide, fast, ultra indicate speed/bitwidth

True. But that list is not separate items; the latter two are
modifiers of the former two. That is, there's just narrow, fast
narrow, wide, fast wide (or maybe not? doesn't feel right), and
ultra wide.

> Most drives are compatible with faster/slower interfaces.

Especially, a drive made for a certain SCSI level by a respected
manufacturer (which includes plenty of people whose hardware I'd
never actually buy) will almost definitely play at least moderately
well with any SCSI level/protocol that existed before the drive was
designed. (You may well need a cable adapter to actually connect the
drive, of course, and you may need to jumper the drive in a specific
way.)

> The main importance is that an LVD drive or HVD drive or "normal" drive
> will normally not work on a different type of interface
> (and likely will fry something).

Never, ever, ever plug HVD and LVD together. You may not end up with
a melted mess... but do you want to find out?

Incidentally, for those who care, I've got a measly fast and narrow
bus (20 MB/s) in most of my machines at home. I'm being lazy about
it, but I'll be buying LVD cards (160 MB/s) and new disk to go with
them just as soon as I price it all out. A change like this can make
system performance significantly more enjoyable; as much as if not
more than adding memory.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net