Bill Jonas on Thu, 13 Jun 2002 02:02:40 -0400

Re: [PLUG] cdrom mounting

On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 01:25:35AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> Well, it can both be really useful or a really terrible idea
> depending on how the machine's used. (If it has, say, a bunch of
> network-accessible CD-ROMs, you really don't want some junior
> admin's logging in on the console and leaving it xlocked to break
> everyone else's access.)

Yes, that would be a major PITA.  In RH's defense, their implementation
seems to be not so bad as to cause this particular problem.  (The device
was mode 660, owned by user.disk.)

> Hrm. Well, walk through what login(1) calls then, and find it. :^>

Well, yes, *that*'s a given. :P

> > I guess this is an itch that no one's felt the need to scratch yet
> > because of the emulation provided by Linux.
>
> "Hubris, impatience, and laziness."

Yes, very true.  And I suppose it's becoming less and less of an issue
since many distributions now set up things the way they need to be
during the install process, behind the scenes.

> Yes. (You may want to make sure it's BIOS isn't set to do something
> crazy by default like mirroring primary to secondary; if so, it'll
> only present one "physical" disk to your OS, so you'd notice.)

Good call, thanks.  I was just planning to hook up a couple of optical
drives to it, though, so there shouldn't be any data loss even if
something is wonky by default.  (Considering splitting up two hard
drives on ide0 and a DVD-ROM and CD-RW on ide1.)

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin