epike on Thu, 13 Jun 2002 17:43:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] starting a program at boot

> I am developing a website using Chilisoft on my laptop, and would like to
> start ASP service at boot.  It has to be run as root.  I am running Linux
> Madrake 8.2.  Could someone tell me how to run a program as root at start
> up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Lazin

note: this is for RedHat, I'm posting on the chance that
its similar to mandrake.

--*--

you could append a script in the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local
(if its there)

*or*

write a script in /etc/rc.d/init.d/
and create a link to it on your run level directory, for example,
for runlevel 3 (normal):

  vi /etc/rc.d/init.d/my_own_script # create something - see
                                    # other files in directory
                                    # for examples
  ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/my_own_script /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99my_own_script

(where 99 implies position in execution order check with
other Sxx* first in this directory).

hope this helps...

(corrections welcome)

jondz