George Langford, Sc.D. on Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:00:12 +0200

[PLUG] Adding shares to a W98PC-LinuxPC network

Hello fellow PLUGgers !

Been a while, 'cuz we (Paul & I) were setting up my new W98
'puter and making the amenex network between the new 'puter
and the LinuxPC about which we spoke 'way back when. Thanks
to Paul, the W98 'puter works magnificently, as does the
network.

However, I got greedy and am attempting to add some directories
in the LinuxPC to the network shares.  I got as far as seeing
the new "archives" share (in addition to the "user0" share)
but W98 won't give me access to the "archives" folder with my
user0 password.  I tried changing the user0 password on the
LinuxPC with:
			passwd user0

but that didn't do it - W98 still wants a passord that I
don't know.  I'm presuming here that it's Linux that's
holding me up, not W98.  After all, when I added the lines:

	[archives]
	path = /vol1
	comment = Archives Directories
	#   browseable = no
	browseable = yes
	writable = yes
	valid users = %S
        create mode = 0664
	directory mode = 0775
	# If you want users samba doesn't recognize to be mapped
		to a guest user
	; map to guest = bad user

to smb.conf, all I did was copy the entries from [homes] and
add the path statement ... but W98 picked up the addition of
the [archives] folder right away.

My questions are:
1.  Did I add the [archives] folder to the user0-accessible
network correctly; and
2.  How do I change my user0 password so that it applies
across the whole network (all two 'puters) ?

Thanks for your continuing interest.

Best regards,
George Langford
amenex@amenex.com