Bill Jonas on Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:08:53 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Sound clip from DVD?

On Wed, Jul 17, 2002 at 03:33:25PM -0400, Mitch Maltenfort wrote:
> Ah, here's the glitch: right now, my DVD player _is_ my computer.

Ah, I see.

> I believe this falls under "fair use" as all I want is five seconds of
> sound out of a 2+ hour movie to use as a system beep on the same computer
> I play the DVD on anyway.

I totally agree with you.  I didn't say it was *right*, I just said
that's the way it *is*.  :-/  During MPAA v. 2600, Judge Kaplan said
that you still *have* your fair use rights, but you may not legally
*exercise* them. :(

Anyway, since you only want sound and you already have regular DVD
playing working, the most expedient way I can think of would be to just
use vsound.  It has been described as a 'virtual audio loopback cable'.
"apt-get install vsound" or see <http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/vsound/>.
Basically, it grabs what's written to /dev/dsp and saves it to a file.
(Great for getting RealAudio files into a sane format.)

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin