Kevin Brosius on Fri, 19 Jul 2002 08:44:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] net install on old pentium trouble

John Lavin wrote:

> Well, finally go DirecTV dsl at my home (yipee!) and have been enjoying the fast
> throughput immensely on my laptop and desktop.
>
> Now that I have full time intern et access, I've been trying to configure
> a spare pentium as a dedicated firewall but I'm having trouble getting
> the networking to function properly.
>
> I have Netgear FA311 net cards and have met with success with two other
> desktops with the same card.
>
> I'm using woody install disks to do a net install.  I've been able to
> use the same exact card in a newer desktop and able to connect but in
> the pentium, I get recognition of the card, insert the natsemi module
> without parameters and punch in manually the ip settings, but no
> connection.

With only one card in the machine or with two?  Sounds like it's time to
do some debugging, although first I'd check the log files for messages
from that driver.  What does /var/log/messages say about that driver
right after you try to load it the first time?  If it's not working, I'd
try it with only one card to see if that works.  After that, it's just a
matter of finding out whether the driver doesn't support a second card
or if it just needs additional command line parameters for the second
card/driver instance to load successfully.  Hopefully it's the latter.
You might need to read about the driver parameters in the kernel source,
somewhere under /usr/src/linux/Documentation usually, although I don't
see anything on the natsemi.  The driver source is in
/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/natsemi.c, in case you care.

Hmm, and that driver has a web page for info at
http://www.scyld.com/network/netsemi.html , except it appears to be gone
at the moment...

--
Kevin Brosius