Kevin D. McAllister on Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:00:13 +0200

Re: [PLUG] IPTables Debian Comcast

on Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 10:20:08AM -0400, Time wrote:
> I have a gateway built from Debian using IPTables running 2.4.18 on two
> ethernet nic's where one is connected to the Comcast COM21 broadband
> modem. For some unknown reason the line becomes unstable after 'x' hours
> of usage and I seem to loose my IP, and the only way to correct this is
> to run dhclient again (or pump -i eth1) and establishing a new
> connection with the new IP. Has anyone ever seen this type of behavior
> before?

I had a similair problem on a old pentium RedHat 7.1 running 2.4.14,
using iptables.  Every so often, which seemed to be an arbitrary time,
I would lose connectivity on my external interface, the only way to
get it back was, 'ifdown eth1; ifup eth1' I couldn't even do as you
say run dhclient or pump to reclaim an IP.  The NIC in question was a
DLINK which had RealTek chip on it, 'CONFIG_8139CP' in the kernel.

The only solution I came up with was to sub in a new nic.  I threw in
an Intel EtherPro 100 dual nic PCI card, and got the kernel module
source that is distributed by Intel and used that.  Since then I have
had no problems.

--
Kevin D. McAllister
kevin@mcallister.ws