Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:33:23 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: PLUG - The Happy Fun List!

I really wanted to stay out of this but...

> > >First: what about a textual communication could possibly require
> > >HTML?
> >
> > Pretty pictures, stylized text, animated GIFs, background colors....
> > whatsamatta you?   :)

Pictures != text. Animations detract from my reading. Stylization has been
overused to the point that meaning is lessened. If you can't get your
idea across in plain text then you need to rethink what you'd like to
say. If your words aren't compelling enough to get my attention then your
animations will only annoy me further, not change my mind.

Better to spend more time choosing the proper words and the order
they are in rather than adding all sorts of annoying cutesy font changes
and colors. This is a discussion list not a commercial.

Finally, some of us _like_ to read their email in a text only browser. I
have several reasons for this, mainly, though, it's speed, simplicity
(harmony), and finally, I get really distracted easily.

There are many other issues I don't have time to get into such as storage
space.

Feel free to send animations and html, but I will ignore them.

Fred Ollinger