gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:40:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Website Maintenence

[Paul: it'd be nice if you could attribute your quotes once in a
while. It helps those who aren't following every single message keep
track of who is actually saying what.]

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 09:44:39AM -0400, Paul wrote:
> I'm surprised by the level of rejection of all but the most basic
> technology among technologists.

Paul, I think you still don't quite understand why Bill and I are
disputing suggestions.

It is not that either he or I think PHP is a bad thing, just that
we don't believe it's the only way to do things, and are not
immediately convinced that it's the best.

Your suggestions for ways to use PHP are reasonable, but they
operate from the "I want to use PHP" point of view, not the "I want
to get X done" point of view. There are other tools besides PHP to
do these things (you even mention one: Apache server-side includes).
It's quite plausible that PHP is the best way to do this (and, in my
experience, I think I agree, but it's been a few years since I did
web development professionally[1]).

The appropriate way to develop *any* project is to identify what
needs to be done first, and *then* address the ways in which it will
be done. So, let's address what needs to be done. From what I've
read (which I don't guarantee is everything!):

- more logical information organization (precisely what's wrong
and what could be made better needs to be dicsussed!)

- regularly (ideally, automatically) updated information, especially
the meeting schedule

What other problems are there?

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net

[1] Yeah, that's right. And that's what makes things like this:

>  I'm starting to think that the creative, artistic element of
> Web design frightens pure technologists. (I'm half serious about
> that.)

rather offensive. Could we please discuss ways in which to make the
website better rather than reducing ourselves to ad hominem attacks?