christophe barbe on Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:40:04 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Darwin Question

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 11:00:41AM -0500, William H. Magill wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 30, 2002, at 09:54 AM, christophe barbe wrote:
> >On the same topic. I have recently bought a TiBook and it comes with a
> >ATI radeon M7 graphic chip. Linux runs perfectly on it except that
> >nobody knows how to suspend/resume the ATI chip. I have read that there
> >are binary only ATI drivers in the last darwin release. Am I right in
> >assuming that the suspend/resume code must be in this binary or It is
> >in
> >the Aqua code? Also is the API used by this binary driver well known?
>
> Yes and no.
> I believe that the TiBook uses the ATI 7500 Mobility Radeon chip.

Yes.

> See ATI's response:
>
> http://www.ati.com:80/support/products/pc/laptops/index.html
> and
> http://www.ati.com:80/support/products/pc/motherboards/index.html
> and
> http://www.ati.com:80/support/infobase/3505.html
>
> The info on their linux (Xfree86) support is here: (a wrapped URL.)
> http://www.ati.com/support/faq/
> linux.html?cboOS=LinuxXFree86&cboProducts=NOT+SURE&eula=&choice=agree&cm
> dNext=Next
>
> If that link doesn't work go to:
> http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
>
> select Operating System: Linux/xFree86
>        Product name:   Not Sure
> click accept on the blank license agreement field
> then click next.
>
> There is a PDF document which describes which versions and which
> distributions support what.
> However, sadly it appears that support is limited to WinTel platforms.
> Unless there is another document for PowerPC.

I should have precised that the situation is different on the x86 side.
Suspend/resume and TVout are supported using the BIOS which is not there
on powerpc (execpt for these features, nobody regrets the BIOS).

Christophe

> T.T.F.N.
> William H. Magill
> magill@mcgillsociety.org
> magill@acm.org
> magill@mac.com

A qui sait comprendre, peu de mots suffisent.
(Intelligenti pauca.)