gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:22:17 -0500

Re: [PLUG] split & cat

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 07:20:18PM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> (Incidentally, this is why you can say something like 'ren *.foo *.bak'
> and actually have it work, whereas in a *nix-based system you would have
> to use a for loop.  This, IMO, is the *only* redeeming feature of not
> having the shell process the wildcards.)

That's neat, but what happens if your destinations are extant files,
not ones you're creating, and input doesn't map cleanly to output?

(It's worth pointing out that I'm not playing stupid here: I've
never owned a computer running a MS OS, nor any IA32 hardware that
didn't run a Unix-like OS.)

That, and it hurts my head. But that's only because I'm used to the
Unix shell way of thinking (not a viable excuse for rejecting a
feature like this, which *definitely* had uses).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net