Chuck Peters on Mon, 11 Nov 2002 06:00:05 -0500

[PLUG] Leonid Meteor Storm

Leonid Meteor Shower may peak at 6,000 meteors per hour, a Meteor Storm!
"Most likely the last opportunity in our lifetimes to see a stupendous
"storm" of Leonid meteors... The Leonid meteors at their peak are capable
of producing the grandest display of celestial fireworks known to man. For
about an hour or so the heavens seem to burst open and pour forth a deluge
of shooting stars. The spectator stands agape, his mind numbed, his eyes
dazzled, and his soul thrilled by the sight of shooting stars appearing by
the hundreds... perhaps even thousands per hour." Joe Rao

Spectacular images, star maps and additional information is available at
http://StarrySkies.com/

This is such special event we have provided a flyer you can download print
and distribute. We encourage businesses, libraries, schools and
individuals to make copies and let everyone know about this exciting
event.

The flyer is available at:
http://starryskies.com/flyer.pdf

At the peak, around 5:30am EST Nov 19th, the eastern US could see as many
as 6,000 meteors per hour, according to predictions from NASA.  An earlier
peak around 11:00 pm EST on the 18th should produce 2000 meteors or more
per hour.

And the StarrySkies Leonid site and its development is done on
entirely on Linux!

Chuck Peters, Systems Administrator, Network Engineer and Linux Tech.
StarrySkies Network, http://StarrySkies.com, publishing science articles
since 1995. http://StarrySkies.Net, an online science community.
http://StarryMessenger.Net, the weekly newsletter of StarrySkies.