gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:20:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] webhosting question again

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 08:22:29AM -0500, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> epike@isinet.com wrote:
> > - some users may want their own cgi-bin
> >
> > regardless of any security i think of by way
> > of permissions, I can't think of a secure way
> > to protect the users files from each other.
> Um, aren't these web page files?  Why would you want to make them read
> protected from other accounts?  Aren't they already publicly accessible
> through the web server?

Not in cgi-bin. Typically the source isn't legible (and, though it's
a bad security model to trust it, sometimes you don't want it to be).

The *output* of files in cgi-bin is world-readable. Their contents,
not necessarily.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net