W. Chris Shank on Wed, 1 Jan 2003 00:10:29 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Modem Buys

good luck. i've had best experience with external serial and USB modems.
i've only been able to get a few ISA modems to work - never a PCI modem
- which from what i can tell are all win-modems.

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 23:53, Vinord Anand wrote:
> I had posted to this list earlier about setting up my SM56 PCI
> motorola modem on my Red Hat Linux 7.3 for Internet access.
> I have since given up on this modem and would like to buy a new
> modem.I am using a Pentium II machine.
>
> From your collective experience ,which internal PCI modem
> would be the easiest and less troublefree to set up on RH 7.3
> From my search on the web almost every internal modem
> requires quite bit of effort to set up on Iinux machine unlike
> Win machines where only a few mouse clicks are required
> to set up almost any new hardware.
>
> I would like to purchase an internal PCI modem which is not
> a soft/winmodem and has drivers available and built specifically
> for my kernel version 2.4.18-3 and which won't require any kernel
> configurations or any other tweaking of the kernel to make it
> usable for dial up PPP connection.
>
> Regards
> vin

W. Chris Shank <chris.shank@acetechgroup.com>