Jeyes, David (371) on Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:49:06 -0500

RE: [PLUG] wireless router

Title: RE: [PLUG] wireless router

> From: William H. Magill wrote:
>
> The original Linksys base station (BEFW11S4) had two removeable
> antennas and a 4 port hub as part  of the package. Their router code
> however didn't work for crap for about 3 or 4 firmware releases,
> especially if you wanted to do NAT with it and run more than one host
> behind it. Worked fine as a bridge. The box has been rev'd at least
> once. The original design had quite a bit of infant mortality.

It could be that it's matured some. I have the linksys WAP (with the 4 port hub), which I bought about 4 months ago. I've heard stories and read about the bad firmware and people not even being able to reach the control panel, but was able to do everything just fine. Maybe they finally got it right.

The only problem that I've had is with signal strength. The walls in my building are all plaster and after about 10 yards and two walls the signal is about 50%. On this point I've heard really good reviews about the signal strength in D-link's wireless gear.