Chris Hedemark on Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:41:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Without OS X

 Arthur S. Alexionmumbled something like:
>From my perspective, we have had a video camera since my 16 year old
> daughter was 2.  I can remember watching the videos twice.  Not that I
> don't think they are modern family heirlooms -- I do -- but I don't
> revisit them often.

I think that is pretty typical.

How often would you revisit them, though, if they had been edited down to
the most relevant bits?
> Add to the mix the fact that these video tapes play on the
> TV, designed and placed for group watching while the QuickTime stuff
> mostly plays on the small screen of a computer, designed and placed for
> individual use.

I regularly plug my Powerbook right into the S-Video jack on the TV.  No
adapter needed.  Make no mistake, my movies are full size and exceed DVD
resolution.  If I want to email it out or put it on my small web site,
yes, I will compress it down into a Quicktime video.  It's a very flexible
system.  Maybe your only exposure to it is the rinky dink quicktime
videos?
If my laptop were only a few months newer, I would be outputting my movies
directly to DVD.  Add to that the fact that I can edit them down to the
most relevant bits, and you end up with a home movie collection that is
actually worth revisiting.