Eugene Smiley on Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:02:09 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Home Networking Question

> So, that leaves the option of a wireless router or multiple IPs.

These are two seperate and distinct realms. Home users rarely, IMHO, need
multiple IP's. It's just another way for the companies to make more money.
One can share a single static IP (ala Comcast) or PPPoE (ala Verizon) as
easy or easier as setting up multiple IP's.

You can use a wireless router such as the Linksys BEFW11S4
(http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=415) or a
masquerade box (with wireless cards) like MB said. I have experience with
nonwireless Linksys routers, and they are very easy to manage.

> Do Comcast or Verizon even offer packages with multiple IPs? I priced
> Speakeasy and it came up $149.95/month as the cheapest, which is out of my
> league.

I have a static IP and 768/768 in South Philly from http://www.cavtel.com
packaged with local and LD for under $80.

> Does anyone have experience using a wireless router between three stories?

I wish I did.