William H. Magill on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 00:22:24 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Home Networking Question

On Monday, March 10, 2003, at 02:26 PM, Steven Tomcavage wrote:
The only option listed is SDSL.

The default list ("Classic") of available pagkages go from 1.5 Mbps
up/down at $299/month to 384 Kbps up/down at $149/month. But if I click on
the "Sysadmin" or "Gamer" categories, I get a price at 384 Kbps up/down of
$119/month.

Why would ASDL not appear in my list of options? As far as I can tell, I'm
within ASDL distance.

You may not live in an area with "hard copper" between you and the CO. SDSL tends to be offered in areas which are served by remote T1 lines. A lot of the Apartment complexes and similar "dense" housing developments have those big-green boxes sitting outside (or in the basement). They represent what is effectively a remote frame with T-service from there back to the CO multiplexing all of the lines in the box.

As for using a wireless setup over 3 floors -- it works fine. I live in a big old victorian row house in West Phila (12 foot ceilings). I have an original Apple graphite Airport Base Station sitting in my basement. My son uses the iBook throughout the house, and camps out with it in his room on the third floor, at the opposite end of the house from the Base Station. Never had any problems. It also covers the backyard nicely. (And I can use it at my neighbors on either side as well.) I also have a wireless connected flat-pannel iMac on the first floor in the dining room. I actually have a second, pre-wireless connection to the third floor. It's an ethernet over fibre link that I threw out the window and pulled in through the door. It happens to be so old that the bloody media converters cost almost as much as the iMac!!!

I have DCAnet (Verizon) "professional" DSL. 1.5x376.

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com