Paul on Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:22:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SNMP

Chris Hedemark wrote:

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 09:11 AM, Paul wrote:

Does anyone know how to talk to a wireless router using SNMP?

If you're just trying to extract configuration bits, check out snmpwalk. You'll need to know (at the very least) the read community name for the device.

Incidentally, enabling snmp on a Linux box and then using snmpwalk and paging through the results can be a really enlightening experience. Most of my experience is with Red Hat. snmpwalk will actually tell you all the RPM's installed on a box (among many MANY other things).

If you want to get fancy along the lines of monitoring, check out mrtg. To get REALLY fancy check out OpenNMS.

I've found the snmpwalk and snmpget utilities. The problem is that the utilities time out or report that the router didn't respond. I've confirmed that SNMP is enabled on the router and I'm using the default names of public and private. (I know, I will change them later.)

When I enabled RedHat's snmpd and tried an SNMP command, it said it needed some secret something. That at least confirmed that the utilities do work. Also, ethereal showed that my SNMP requests are going out. And I popped two holes into my firewall, just in case the SNMP packets were being blocked.

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 161 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 161 -j ACCEPT

What did you do to get RedHat to respond to SNMP commands? How is the wireless router different?