Chris Hedemark on Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:37:06 -0500

Re: [PLUG] sparc problem

On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 11:21 AM, Fred K Ollinger wrote:

I moved houses, and now my sparc will not boot. I checked www.google.com,
and read a lot of manpages, to no avail.

Here's the relevent error:

"Can't open input device.
Keyboard not available. Using tty for input and output."

OK so it is dropping to a serial console. You can still access it via null modem cable (this is how I run all my suns at home anyway).

Then the screen goes black.

Right. Your locally attached monitor is no longer the console.

The keyborad was plugged in at all times, and there was no known damage so
I'm not sure if this is really the problem. I wanted to run it headless
anyway, but it won't connect via ethernet eventhough I thought I had it
configged properly (worked headless before I moved). How to set up tty?
What hardware do I need?

It sounds like there may have been some damage in the move. If you had a keyboard plugged in and you got that particular error message, then something is amiss.

You can get a null modem cable (NOT a regular modem cable) and console in from any old PeeCee with a serial port. Even from Windoze. Your Sun should have autoconfigured itself to use serial port A as the console. Do you have another computer to use as a console until you can figure out what all is wrong?

Serial port settings for the console box should be 9600/8/N/1 with no flow control.

Chris Hedemark
PGP/GnuPG Public Key at http://yonderway.com/chris/hedemark.gpg