Mike Leone on Tue, 1 Apr 2003 23:01:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] LEAF Experiences?

Eugene Smiley (eugene@esmiley.net) had this to say on 04/01/03 at 19:30:
> Mike Leone does LEAF, I believe.

That I does. :-)

I currently use the Bering distribution (kernel 2.4.18, IPTables, Shorewall
firewall, SSH access - next up is FreeS/WAN IPSec support :-) on a Pentium
100, 48M RAM. I have a ADSL line (it was originally 640K down; I think I
somehow got upgraded to 786K down). I get full speed downloads (60K
downloading some ISOs; occasionally I get higher throughput from doing
Debian apt-get upgrades).

Been using LEAF (and it's predecessor, LRP) since about 1999, first on a 56K
dialup, then on my DSL.  When I had Verizon as an ISP, I used PPPOE; now I
have static IPs.

I run my own mailserver/web server/FTP server behind my LEAF. No DMZ, altho
Shorewall is supposed to make that easy, as well.

Bering comes with a shell script web access (well, weblet status). And the
new Bering docs are quite good. It all runs from RAM disk (altho there are
options for running form an IDE drive, booting from CED, running from CF
drive, etc). Very flexible. Me, I run it from a write-protected floppy, so
even if it's hacked, you can  just reboot back to a known state.

I don't think I've ever seen a report of a successful hack of a Bering
system, FWIW.

There's all sorts of packages available to run on LEAF, if you want -
postfix, samba, OSPF, etc. I don't, but some do.

That help any?

# uname -a
Linux ellcrys 2.4.18 #1 Sun Nov 10 17:40:20 UTC 2002 i586 unknown

ellcrys: -root-
# uptime
 10:51pm  up 24 days, 13:38, load average: 0.01, 0.00, 0.00

# free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
 Mem :        38584        11044         27540         0           36
 Swap:            0            0            0
 Total:        38584        11044        27540

# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                10.0M      6.0M      4.0M  60% /
tmpfs                    18.8M     12.0k     18.8M   0% /tmp
tmpfs                     4.0M    116.0k      3.9M   3% /var/log