Jeff Weisberg on Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:46:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Can Open Source Replace Oracle?

| Is she correct, in your view?

In the sense of "no one ever lost their job for choosing oracle", yes.
it isn't her money, but it is her job. from her point of view:
  - everything works, as long as it stays working, she keeps her job.
  - if it breaks, she loses her job.
  - if she saves the city money, she does not get rewarded.
  - if she makes more people happy, she does not get rewarded.
there isn't any incentive for her to do anything different, or
take on any risk.

you would probably be better off starting at the top and
showing city council how much tax payer money could be saved
by adopting open-source software city-wide. (the city probably
has many systems running oracle, etc).

| Would PostgreSQL or other Open Source
| database not be up to the job?  In your opinion, what hardware
| configuration does this application require?

"maybe" and "probably". but there are things that Oracle can do
that postgres cannot. so, without knowing the specifics we can
only speculate.
there would certainly be costs associated with converting.

| Do you know of any government entities that are using one of the Open
| Source databases?

the largest postgres installation I know of is ".org"

one of the postgres developers, Bruce Momjian, is local.
it may be worth dropping him an email:
	pgman (at) candle.pha.pa.us

	--jeff