sean finney on Sun, 25 May 2003 03:26:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] acl pulled from rh! [TROLL]

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 02:26:33AM -0400, William H. Magill wrote:
> On Saturday, May 24, 2003, at 02:49  AM, sean finney wrote:
> >also, i don't know if you can put acl's on ext2 directories like you
> >can
> >in solaris, which is really nice for dealing with the whole emacs
> >"unlink-and-create-new-file-owned-by-me" thing.
>
> Why not just change the emacs flags?

well that solves the problem for emacs, but doesn't for however many
other programs share the same broken approach to writing files... imo
the real solution is to have a system that will work without having to
patch all of your installed software against libacl or not use certain
'features'.

> The standard default is to rename the files (which breaks the links).
> To change the default to copy, and thereby leave the original
> owner and links, put
> 	(setq backup-by-copying t)
> in your .emacs file (or do it site wide, if that is the issue.)

that's what we did, iirc.  i don't remember because i only figured out
what was causing the problem, and passed it on to one of the emacs-using
sysadmins :)

	sean