W. Chris Shank on Wed, 28 May 2003 10:43:49 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Looking for a laptop

I have to agree - I have an iBook as well and really like the hardware.
I guess I should have gotten more RAM (only has 384M) because OS X
really started to annoy me after a while. It seemed that all the apps I
really wanted to run were linux apps ported over - requiring X. Even
though Apple's X was faster than the Darwin one, it was still sooo slow.
And the interface itself was just such a hog. I like the eye candy - but
not at the expense of responsiveness. I even got a program that would
turn off the shading - and it improved performance somewhat - but then
it was hard distinguish windows from each other.

I have since gone with YellowDog v3 and I like it. I also tried Mandrake
9.1 PPC which is good too. I like Linux on the iBook because the
hardware just works - at least so it seems. Sleep works - which is
really important to me. USB HID's work just by plugging them in.

I keep OS X as a boot option and even boot it via MOL occasionally to
get to some proprietary apps.

My biggest beef with running Linux on the PPC is that there are many
proprietary apps that have X86 versions but not PPC versions -Flash
being the most annoying.

Otherwise - I really like it.