William H. Magill on Fri, 30 May 2003 12:54:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Sony Digital 8 Handycam DVR

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 03:25 PM, Jeff 'Jephree' Mealo wrote:
I have a video project for school and am lucky enough to have found a teacher
found of me enough so to lend me his camcorder. I'll be editing this
digitally in either Adobe Premier or Cinellera [linux]. The manual describes
a 4-pin -> 4-pin interface, is this what I'll need to hook it up to a PC or
another DV/i.LINK/Firewire/IEEE 3349 (I believe it's 3349?)... device like a
VCR. I know they have 4-pin -> 6-pin a lot cheaper. I plan to give this
cable to him as a gift for the favor as I'll only need it once. If anyone's
had to do something like this your input would be appreciated.

This is a standard "IEE1834" aka "FireWire" aka "iLink" cable. Probably about $20 at any computer or camera store, or your local Radio Shack.

The camcorder world has opted to use the 4 pin end of the firewire cable as its "standard" simply because the other two pins are power, and any camcorder has/needs its own power supply. (Virtually all PC/Mac interfaces have nowhere near enough power to drive the camera transports, even if there was only one device on the buss. I don't think the spec even allocates that much power.)

The host end is, by definition supposed to be a six pin connection. However, some, as have been mentioned, don't provide power an offer only a 4 pin connection.

Today, there are a number of manufactures offering "universal" 1394 cables -- these have an "adapter" which provide either a 4 or 6 wire connector on either end. While they seem like a good idea at first, they just offer an additional pair of parts (one adapter for each end) to get lost in your camera bag/junk box... at a cost only 4 or 5 times greater than a standard 4/4 or 4/6 or 6/6 cable.

By the way, I have a Digital 8 that I just plug straight into my iMac and suck things down with iMovie. ... but it still takes months to edit those vacation movies. But then you can burn them to dvds to impose upon all your relatives as gifts. ... :)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com