Paul on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:22:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Dell TrueMobile 1184 wireless router arrived

Magnus wrote:

Why do you keep crying about the antenna being soldered on?

Crying? Hardly. I'm disappointed by it, because for the purpose of this project the less time/work/hacking it takes to go from box to mast the better. Think of the scale of it. We're not talking about 2 or 3 solder jobs here. It would have been much better for the intended use if there were a removable antenna.

Yes and no. A removable antenna might seem convenient until you realize that you need a non-standard connector. By adding your own connector, you can choose a standard type or a commonly available (Radio Shack) connector.

It might not be to far fetched to put an N connector on a short piece of cable, then solder then other end of the cable to the circuit board. That way you can use N to N cable runs to your antennas.