eric@lucii.org on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:58:04 -0400

[PLUG] Automount, smbfs, and errors

A few months ago, I posted some questions on the list about automount.

With that info, a HOWTO and a few manpages I got automount working
on a RedHat 8.0 workstation.  Very nice.

Last week, I wiped the RH 8.0, reformatted the hard drive, and put on
RH 9.0.  When I reconfigured automount it's now flakey :-(

When I 'cd /misc/sharedir' the shell hangs somtimes.  If I interrupt
it with <ctrl>-C it comes back - sometimes with a prompt of
/misc/sharedir and sometimes I'm still in my home directory.

I see this in /var/log/messages...

Jun 17 09:58:15 pc-00087 kernel: smbfs: Unrecognized mount option nodev
Jun 17 10:07:06 pc-00087 kernel: smb_get_length: recv error = 512
Jun 17 10:07:06 pc-00087 kernel: smb_trans2_request: result=-512, setting invalid
Jun 17 10:07:06 pc-00087 kernel: smb_retry: caught signal
Jun 17 10:31:55 pc-00087 automount[9568]: expired /misc/sharedir

In dmesg this:

smbfs: Unrecognized mount option nodev
smbfs: Unrecognized mount option nodev

Here is my auto.master file:

   /misc /etc/auto.misc --timeout=60

and this in the auto.misc file...
      [lines folded for readability]

   sharedir    -fstype=smbfs,rw,workgroup=office,fmask=777,dmask=777\
   ,user,suid,exec,credentials=/etc/credentials/user  ://fileserver/share

Alternatively, this entry in auto.misc which is functionally equivalent:

   sharedir -fstype=smbfs,workgroup=office,\
   credentials=/etc/credentials/user  ://fileserver/share

Here's the weird thing... I cannot find the error message "Unrecognized
mount option nodev" anywhere except in the kernel sources (smbfs/inode.c,
IIRC) (and that's just %s instead of nodev.)
Google search: fruitful but the fruit is bitter - nothing helpful.
There is not any "nodev" in any automount file, /etc/*, /etc/*/*

I'm ready to burn this RH 9.0 and go to Mandrake 9.1 - it's very nice as a
WRU (Windows Replacement Unit :-))

Anybody have ideas about this?  Perhaps nodev is complied into  RH's
autofs/automounter?

I'm at the bitter end.

Eric

#   Eric Lucas
Potentially, a government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights;
it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally
disarmed victims. When unlimited and unrestricted by individual rights,
a government is man's deadliest enemy. It is not as protection against
private actions, but against governmental actions that the Bill of
Rights was written.
  -- Ayn Rand, The Virtue of Selfishness [1964]