Adam Turoff on Sun, 29 Jun 2003 15:54:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OS 8.6 to 9 and X

On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 12:13:39PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Adam Turoff wrote:
> >Yes, you need OS 9 to run in classic mode.  It comes on the OS X install
> >CDs.
> >You can also install OS X without OS 9, which disables classic mode.
>
> OK.  So we could upgrade from 8.6 to 9 even without installing 10 and
> without reinstalling applications?

Possibly.  I stopped using MacOS around 8.0, so I really don't know much
about the old MacOS.  I started using Linux and *BSD because I could get
a real terminal window, which MacOS never offered.

The last two Macs I purchased had OS 9 and OS X pre-installed, and
booted into OS X by default.  I don't know the secret magic key sequence
to boot into OS 9, so I never booted into it.

I reinstalled Jaguar on one of my macs about 7-8 months ago, and it
looked like it was attempting to install OS 9 for Classic (before I
stopped it).

For the record, if you format a disk for HFS+ and *don't* put the MacOS
extension partitions in the front of the drive, OS9 and Classic can't be
installed; installing OS X goes faster because it doesn't install two
OSes at once.  :-)

> >Yes.  OS 8.6, OS 9 and OS X all run on HFS+ partitions.  I don't know
> >what the OS X install will do to the OS 8.6 system folder, but you
> >should be able to install 9/X without reformatting.
>
> Oh, I thought 9 and 10 would need to be on seperate partitions or something.

Both use HFS+, so just installing it on an existing 8.6 partition shouldn't
be an issue.  Just make sure you back everything up first.  :-)

Z.