Stephen Gran on Thu, 3 Jul 2003 17:17:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] verizon dsl pppoe help tonight

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 01:27:58PM -0700, M.Simons said:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Rebecca Ore wrote:
>
> > I strongly recommend a little router if you can afford one.  Otherwise,
> > what worked for me was Roaring Penguin PPPoE, but I don't know what
> > gotchas there might be for Debian.  (I sent you email but I'm still in
> > the middle of trying to get mutt using sendmail to authenticate to
> > outgoing.verizon.net, which may just be impossible.  Gnus is
> > authenticating my Verizon secondary user just fine).
>
> > Normally, Verizon isn't like this.  Do you have your user name and
> > password?
>
> Yes, I have my username and password... I had everything working on a
> windows box until that box went kaput.
>
> Now I've been trying to get it to work on Linux, first unsuccessfully with
> a LEAF distro, and now with this debian distro, I am using it's packaged
> pppoe which seems to be a packaged roaring penguin.
>
> Right now it seems like a routing problem or something, of course since my
> connection isnt responding to anything, I'm nto sure whats up.  "route -n"
> produces nothing for me. ifconfig -a does produce something, I seem to
> display some rx and tx bytes, but I dunno.. I'm pretty much a clueless
> newbie here.
>
> Any additional suggestions?

I'm going to need more information to figure out what's going on.
Because pppoe uses much of the ppp framework already in place, you can
use some of the tools already written for ppp to help debug what's going
on.  pppoeconf will help you get started, entering username and password
information, and I think there's also a way to look for a connection in
the dialog, towards the end.  If none of that works for you, which it
looks like it hasn't, try this:

One term open with `plog -f > plog.file 2>&1` running
Another term, as root, `/etc/init.d/ppp restart`

That'll dump plenty of information about what's happening in the
connection attempt to the output file, and then see if you can somehow
email that to me or the list.  Also, the output of ifconfig would be
helpful, although not quite as essential.  My offer of phone support
still stands, but I'm going out right now, so it looks like today won't
work out. I'll be home after 6:30 or so tomorrow night, if that works
for you.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Intolerance is the last defense of the  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | insecure.                               |