Jeff Abrahamson on Sun, 6 Jul 2003 12:31:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] ethernet hub "crash"

On Sat, Jul 05, 2003 at 01:54:12PM -0400, Michael C. Toren wrote:
>   [20 lines, 144 words, 933 characters]  Top characters: _etniosh
>
> > My bf got a new PowerMac G4 running OS X. He plugged it in where his
> > old OS 9 iMac used to be. His ethernet connections keep dying,
> > repairable by power cycling the hub.
> >
> > I tried moving him to a different port, and also switching his port
> > from auto to 100, but it doesn't solve the problem.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> When his connection dies, do other ports on the same hub also die, or just
> the the G4?  Have you tired unplugging his cable for a minute or so after
> his port has died, and then plugging it back in to see if it corrects the
> problem?  Also, do you know offhand what the make and model of the hub is?

Thanks for the tips. I determined that, in fact, the hub was fine. (At
least, its other ports still worked.) Unplugging the G4's cable at the
wall was enough to reset things. Swapping a new cable seems, so far,
to have solved the problem.

The new cable is also shorter, I wonder if I had hit a cable length
problem, since the cable goes to a wall jack which then goes to the
hub. The old iMac may have been 10baseT or just run slower.

Anyway, thanks much.

--
 Jeff