Thomas Thurman on Wed, 23 Jul 2003 13:55:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] URL redirects in apache

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Marc Zucchelli wrote:
> For the sample URL
> http://www.domain.com/path/to/random/url, I would like
> for apache to redirect that to the same exact URL but
> without the www, is this possible from httpd.conf or
> better yet, .htaccess?

It's fairly simple in httpd.conf. For example, this is a paragraph from my
httpd.conf:

# stuff that gets redirected to marnanel.org
<VirtualHost 193.201.200.145>
ServerName www.marnanel.org
Redirect permanent / http://marnanel.org/
</VirtualHost>

The redirect of "/" applies to everything under /, too. So not only does
http://www.marnanel.org -> http://marnanel.org , but
http://www.marnanel.org/unexpected-bath.html ->
http://marnanel.org/unexpected-bath.html .

thomas thurman   -   marnanel at marnanel dot org   -   http://marnanel.org
The walls are frozen rivers of orange stone.