Jon Nelson on Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:03:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Compiling Kernels/Setting up USB Devices

Douglas Johnson said:
>> I would suggest watching the logs when you plug in one of the devices
>> and see
>
> I am sure this question will let you all in on how little I know about
> linux
> and that's fine. What logs? I have had similar problems trying to get a

Open an xterm window on your desktop and use:

    tail -f /var/log/messages

This will display the last 10 lines or so of /var/log/messages and then
continues to append new messages in real time.  Then plug in the device
and see what shows up in the log.

As for info about modules:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-kernel-modules.html

Compiling kernels:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/ch-kernel.html

Jon
--
Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation