Tobias DiPasquale on 19 Oct 2003 19:11:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Transfer REALLY large file(s) between Linux and OS X

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 13:22, William H. Magill wrote:
> On Friday, October 17, 2003, at 09:08 PM, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> > If only I was lucky enough to get some time on a gigabit pipe ;-)
> > Speaking of that, have you ever tried sftp? How have you found its
> > speed
> > vs. scp vs. FTP?
>
> One would assume that ANY encrypting protocol will be slower than its
> non-encrypting version, simply by virtue of the extra work involved in
> the encryption cycle. Those CPU cycles have to come from somewhere.

One would also then necessarily assume that some benchmarking was in
order to determine whether or not that overhead is negligable or not for
differing sizes of transferred data. That's what I was asking for, in
case that escaped your attention.

--
<< Tobias DiPasquale >>
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036