Art Clemons on 4 Nov 2003 10:17:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] FW: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

Personally, I've started using Gentoo, so I guess I'm ok at home.

At work, well that was as different story. Until I saw this:

http://www.novell.com/news/press/archive/2003/11/pr03069.html

Since we're a novell shop, it kind of works out for us.

Don't be too sure, Novell has a long history of buying things and letting them wither away if its practices don't just outright kill it off. Think of the history of WordPerfect and Novell before you expect Suse to be around for the long term.

We may actually be reaching the end of packaged distributions of Linux products, unless we all start paying more for said distributions. I've never been a RedHat fan, but its changes are a good indication that not enough money is being made selling to individuals, who also don't buy support. Suse being sold is another indication that things don't always work out.